With this meal supplying a large quantity of Iron and B6 it can be created quickly and is relatively inexpensive. I was unsure whether I liked liver until I tried this but this has made my mind up. Very nice even if i do say so myself!!
Ingredients (For 2 People, Prep 4 hours, cooking time 30 mins)
250g Liver, 3 Potatoes, 1 Onion, 250ml Red Wine, 2 Bay Leaves, 2 Garlic Cloves finely chopped, Seasoning, 4 rashers Streaky Bacon, 2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
1. Marinade the Liver in a dish for a few hours with, the wine, vinegar, bay leaves, garlic and seasoning.
2. Peel and Chop the potatoes and put on the boil ready to mash.
3. Roughly dice the onions and cook slowly with some olive oil and butter with the lid on the pan for 20-30mins until very soft.
4. Take the liver out of the marinade (do not discard the liquid, this will be the sauce). Pan fry the liver until cooked then put the liver to the side and place the marinade in the pan to reduce until thickened.
5. Fry the bacon until crispy. Place the liver in the marinade to warm through.
6. Drain the potatoes and add the softened onions and mash.
7. Serve the liver and bacon on the bed of mash with sauce placed over the top. Some sweet vegetables will go nicely also such as carrots or roasted parsnips.
Let me know your thoughts on the meal if you try it.